This church is one of the three original churches in Bristol, CT, built with donations from the community, costing 1600$ including the furniture. It began as a schoolhouse which was built in 1884 by agents of Miss Hattie O. Utter, a day school teacher in the North Chippins Hill district of Bristol. A year later she left the area to return to her home-town to marry and the church and Sunday school was continued by the Sessions family of Bristol (the famous clock and watch crafters) and Mr. B.S. Rideout.
On September 2, 1889, the schoolhouse officially entered into a charter, naming it Mount Hope Chapel. By 1907, the church became more than a Sunday school and had evolved into a non-denominational parish that had frequent sermons by ministers of different religions. On September 10, 1962, it changed hands once again and became the First Michel Spiritualist Church.
Twenty years later, the church again changed hands, and was renamed The Church of Eternal Light. In the year 2000 a new steeple and bell tower were erected, and a year later, on February 18th, 2001 the property officially became a Pagan Spiritualist church. To this day, The Church of Eternal Light serves the citizens of Bristol, as well as any who wish to attend (some even coming from out of state) with a multi-denominational means of worship.